Places to Go Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing in Greater Rochester
Rochester is second to none for winter fun!
When many people think snow sports, they think skiing. Skiing is great, and we have a list of the family-friendly ski areas nearby. But for those of us who are gravity-challenged or prefer an outdoor snow experience that also allows for great family-togetherness and chatting, cross-country skiing or snowshoeing are terrific ideas.
- Black Creek Park, Union Street, Towns of Chili and Riga, NY - 585-256-4950 A reader reports: "Cross country skiing is nice in Black Creek Park and also in Northampton."
- Durand Eastman Park - Lake Shore Blvd., Irondequoit, NY Comments from Cross-Country Ski Areas from Rochester-Info.com: "The best time to cross-country ski in Durand Eastman Park is during extreme weather. The dogs and their owners are gone and new snow covers their damage. On extreme weather days, the park can be spectacularly beautiful. For skiers, the best entrance to the park is from the east side or the northeast. These entrances are less heavily used than the west entrances near the sled hills."
- Genesee Country Village Nature Center, Flint Hill Road, Mumford, NY 585-538-6822
Open for skiing during Nature Sundays.
- Genesee Valley Park - South of East River Road, Rochester, NY (near the golf course) Good for beginning cross-country skiiers
- Harriet Hollister Spencer State Recreation Area - Canadice Hill Road, six miles south of Honeoye - 585-335-8111
- Mendon Ponds Park, between Clover Street and Pittsford-Mendon Center Road, Mendon/Honeoye Falls, NY - 585-334-3780
They groom the cross-country trails there for the Pittsford-Mendon team so it's an especially nice place to ski.
- Northhampton Park, Colby Street, Spencerport, NY - 585-256-4950 According to one of our readers, "They also have a ski lift for downhill skiing--not sophisticated but nice."
- Perinton Recreation Center, 1350 Turk Hill Road, Fairport, NY A reader writes: "Area is good for x-country skiing and snowshoeing with open fields and a wooded trail."
- Montezuma Audubon Center, 2295 State Route 89, Savannah, NY, 13146 A reader writes: "I attended one of their Saturday "Hot Cocoa and Snow" snowshoe events and it was fabulous. We snowshoed and solved a mystery in the spirit of CSI. The cost was very affordable - $5 for adults, $3 for a child, or $15 for a family - which includes snowshoe rentals and hot cocoa at the end of the hike. The series goes on through March and is well worth the drive. More info is available at (315) 365-3588 or email@example.com."