Dickens Christmas in Skaneateles: Annual Celebration
SPECIAL EVENT: Dinner with Dickens and Friends! Thursday, December 7 at Mirbeau Inn and Spa at 6 pm. Celebrate the Christmas Season and watch literature brought to life, as Charles Dickens and Company perform a live rendition of "A Christmas Carol". Enjoy a traditional dinner with special child friendly options available for the youngsters. Entertainment provided by Scarlett Rat Entertainment as seen in Skaneateles' popular Dickens Christmas.
- Christmas carol sing-along, The Mid-day Revels, at 2 p.m. at the Gazebo with the entire Dickens cast. (Bad weather place is the Hannum House of the Sherwood Inn.)
- Free horse and wagon rides around the Village. Pick up in front of the Sherwood Inn. Additional stops at Finger Lakes on Tap. Sponsored by the Sherwood Inn.
- Free roasted chestnuts in front of Johnny Angels, donated by TOPS Market, and roasted by Mid-Lakes Navigation.
- Mother Goose reads holiday stories to the children at Skaneateles Skoops from 12:30 - 4
- Father Christmas greets the children on the porch of the Masonic Temple (13 E. Genesee St.) each weekend day from noon to 2 p.m., and 3 - 4 p.m. He will have special treats for especially good children.
- Special shows at the Skaneateles Library at 1 and 3 pm. Special live entertainment each Saturday and Sunday at the Library. Events are free, however donations are welcome.
- The Dickens characters will be acting out scenes from "A Christmas Carol" at the Gazebo (bad weather back-up: Hannum House) at 12:30 and 3:30. These interactive trunk shows are sponsored by the Summit Auto Group.
Don't miss our annual "World's Smallest Christmas Parade" on opening day, Friday, November 24, at noon. Watch for Charles Dickens and his entourage as they meander down Fennell Street, turn right onto Jordan Street, then right onto Genesee Street to their grand opening on the porch of the Hannum House next to the Sherwood Inn at 12:10 pm to celebrate the 24th Anniversary.
MANY THANKS TO OUR MEDIA SPONSORS: Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance, Galaxy Communications/Sunny 102, Skaneateles Journal, Skaneateles Press/Eagle Newspapers, The Post Standard and Visit Syracuse!
Dancers, carolers, live music and special events flow in and around the weekend celebrations, making for wonderful family memories. A live brass band plays every Saturday on the village streets; a bagpiper or two may be found entertaining on Sundays; and local musical groups share their many talents in that heartwarming Dickens' spirit. Beware of mean old Scrooge roaming the streets.....but, he may have a nice surprise for you.
Father Christmas will be glad to listen to all the children to get their wish list for the big day. Father Christmas will be on the porch of the Masonic Temple from 12:15 - 2 p.m., and 3 - 4 p.m. each Dickens day. The Masonic Temple is located at 13 E. Genesee Street in the heart of Skaneateles.
And don't forget to visit the unique shops and restaurants that will be open throughout the Dickens' events. The shopping district includes Genesee, Jordan and Fennell Streets. Enjoy a slower paced, more enjoyable atmosphere where shopping can still be fun. Our 70 plus shops and restaurants are the perfect addition to a holiday vacation.
If you want to be a true shopper and don't want the hustle and bustle of a Dickens weekend be sure to come back to Skaneateles any weekday. Our shop owners will welcome you with open arms and be able to give you individual attention. Tuesday, December 5, 2017 we are having a special shopping day in Skaneateles called "Shop, Sip and Stroll". You will find specials and discounts in the stores, special free treats, and receive a free drink coupon with a purchase between 5 & 8 p.m. good for one of our area restaurants.
Visit Skaneateles winery: Anyela's Vineyards, located just 4 short miles down West Lake Road on Route 41A. We also have our own glassworks...Snake Oil Glassworks just 2 short miles north on Jordan Rd. in the hamlet of Mottville.
Make a day or a weekend of it! We have wonderful accommodations ranging from B&B's, hotels/inns, and affordable priced motels. There is plenty to do in the area, and Skaneateles is conveniently located in Central New York on historic Route 20. We are just 25 minutes from Syracuse and a hour-and-a-half from Rochester, and an hour and 15 minutes from Binghamton.
For additional questions contact the Skaneateles Area Chamber of Commerce at 315-685-0552.
Free horse and wagon rides around the village leaving from the Sherwood Inn. Carriage rides are provided by Rt 80 Quarry Stables out of Nedrow, NY (315-492-3404). Look for a few special places around the Village for "Official Dickens Photo Spots". Take pictures and then post your pictures on the Dickens Christmas facebook page.
Happy Christmas to all!