YOUR ONLINE RESOURCE FOR KIDS AND FAMILIES
Sledding Hills in Greater Rochester
We have terrific sledding in greater Rochester, NY!
Rochesterians love winter. We are the MASTERS of winter. And therefore, we get ourselves and our kids out and about as often as possible... weather doesn't stop us! So here we have suggestions for readers' best sledding in our area. (Looking for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing opportunities? Click here!)
- Black Creek Park, Union Street, Chili, NY Readers write: "LARGE hill behind the shelter and the tree line" and "Better for older kids (4+) because it is a pretty big hill. They do also have trails for hiking and the little ones can get pulled on the trails when there is enough snow...I have seen a lot of cross country skiers at the park also."
- Ellison Park, Blossom & Landing Roads, Penfield, NY - 585-256-4950
- Harris Whalen Park, Penfield, near 441 & 250 across from Wegmans.
- Hilton Quest Elementary School - 225 West Avenue, Hilton, NY Hill behind the school
- Martha Brown Middle School - 665 Ayrault Road, Fairport, NY Hill in front of the school - great place especially for beginners. (However, sledding may not be officially permitted there.)
- Mendon Ponds Park, between Clover Street and Pittsford-Mendon Center Road, Mendon, NY - 585-256-4950 There are several hills, but one in particular that everyone seems to flock to. Follow the crowd.
- Durand Eastman Park in Irondequoit has been mentioned as a favorite place. It is uncertain whether there is "official" sledding in the park (it is not mentioned in our Top Tips for Enjoying Monroe County Parks in Winter article), although its web site mentions sledding as an activity.
- Northampton Park, Colby Street, Spencerport, NY - 585-256-4950
- Perinton Recreation Center, 1350 Turk Hill Road, Fairport, NY A reader writes: "There's a steep, challenging hill and a gentler slope. Area is also good for x-country ski and snowshoe with open fields and a wooded trail."
- Powder Mills Park, off Route 96, Pittsford, NY
- Sutherland High School, 55 Sutherland Street, Pittsford, NY There is a hill behind the school for sledding.
- Washington Grove Park, behind Cobb's Hill, Rochester
- Webster Park, Lake Road/Holt Road, Webster, NY - 585-256-4950
- Frisbee Hill Park off of Frisbee Hill Road in Hilton (located between Hilton and Greece) has a great sledding hill. We took all 3 little ones and they were all able to enjoy. Go to back of the park and there is a sign pointing down the trail for the “Sledding Hill.” (Reader suggestion from Danielle.)
- Laurelton-Pardee Intermediate School in Irondequoit, at 600 Pardee Road (here's a little map). Tony Infantino of WARM 101.3 says this is his favorite sledding place; they have a great hill behind the school.
Also: Snow tubing counts as sledding, right? Certainly it does! Check out Polar Wave Snow Tubing in Batavia. You might want to print out and sign their waver in advance of your trip, to save time when you're there. See their web site at http://www.polarwavebatavia.com.
There's also Glacier Ridge Snowtubing in Greece at Doug Miller Family Sports Park. The magic carpet ride back to the top is almost as much fun as the downhill tube ride..
Comments and suggestions are welcome! You need to log in first, so just click in the upper right-hand link above to create an account ID. Then come back here and add your own ideas for where to go sledding in greater Rochester!