- All FREE events coming up
- Indoor Play Centers
- New Year's activities
- Master Guide to the Holidays in Rochester!
- Holiday & Christmas Light Displays in the Rochester Area
- Cut your own Christmas tree! Here's where to go with your family!
- Holiday Break Camps
- Birthday parties
- Holiday Gift Guide 2014
- Upcoming open houses
- Volunteering with Children
YOUR ONLINE RESOURCE FOR KIDS AND FAMILIES
- Southeast / Florida
- Midwest & Texas
- Mountain states
- West Coast / Nevada
Rochester Family Newsletter July 5, 2012
|Click here to receive our free weekly e-newsletter every Thursday morning!|
2012 Winners: Top 20 Places To Bring Kids in the Rochester Area
50 Ways to Love Your Summer -- Leaving the Technology Inside!
Beaches, Spraygrounds, and Other Water Fun
Places with outdoor pools
25 SUMMER FESTIVALS in Rochester & the Finger Lakes
Ideas for summer day trips & overnight excursions for Rochesterians
Amusement Parks within Driving Distance
Where to play mini golf
Where to pick cherries and blueberries
Giveaways page: Camps! Tickets to Genesee Country Village! More!
It's their vacation, and you're the tour guide: How to run Camp Mom
438 upcoming FREE events
Dear KidsOutAndAbout readers:
I hope everyone had a wonderful Fourth of July! The weather was perfectly what you'd expect for the Fourth: Hot, a bit sticky... perfect for beer, watermelon, and barbecue! I spent the day running my kids around from event to event...they were performing with the Excelsior Fife & Drum Corp (if your kids are 11 and up and interested in fifes, drums, or historical reenactments, this may be the group for them!) in three different places: Brockport had a wonderful Children's Parade at the Morgan-Manning House (man, they do it well!), then at Genesee Country Village for their annual Independence Day Parade and Celebration, and then up to Ontario Beach where they had a concert.
And if you missed the fireworks last night (as we did out of sheer fatigue), you have another opportunity tonight at the Red Wings game: AND the RPO will be playing as well!
2) I got a chance to see the new Intrepid balloon at Genesee Country Village, which they just unveiled this week. It is the ONLY replica Civil War era military balloon in the world. This permanent exhibit will offer rides to visitors and will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for an additional fee. It was a bit too windy for us to go up yesterday, but last night, KOAA's VP of Operations, June Santini, went out to the GCVM with her family, and her daughter and a friend got to go up. You should be aware that balloon launches are weather-dependent, so if that's in your plans, check the home page of Genesee Country Village at http://www.gcv.org/ and look on the right-hand side for the balloon flight status.
3) Are you thinking of taking the kids to Hersheypark in Pennsylvania sometime soon? It's definitely within driving distance. Our KidsOutAndAbout Albany editor, Katie Beltramo, went last week. Here is Katie's review of Hersheypark with detailed info about do's and don't's . When she sent me her review, she commented that she wished she'd read it before she went! :-)
4) Speaking of theme parks in Pennsylvania, Mark Asch's review of Sesame Place is well worth a read, too if you're headed in that direction.
5) I know many of you are headed to the Adirondacks this summer. We have a big set of reviews of kid-friendly stuff to do in the Adirondacks, including a review of the Enchanted Forest / Water Safari in Old Forge. In fact, this Saturday is Familypalooza at the Adirondack Museum. The Adirondack Museum gets rave reviews from those I've talked to who have been there, and it even made the Top 5 in our Top 20 Things to Do in the Capital District -- and it isn't even that close to Albany!
6) How about some active INDOOR FUN, especially when it's too hot outdoors? AMF Lanes has Free Summer Bowling for Kids! Summer Unplugged promotion means free bowling for kids ages 16 and under as summer fun takes over the lanes. Parents can get weekly coupons delivered to their email inbox. Discover new, fun ways for your kids to enjoy bowling like never before with special activities and contests during this awesome summer-long promotion. Visit http://freebowling.amf.com to register today. They have five Rochester-area locations.
Festivals July 7-9
7) This weekend (July 7-8-9) There are a few festivals:
Each summer, the Rochester Community Players put on a free Shakespeare Play in the Highland Bowl in Highland Park on South Ave. This year's show is a history, Richard III, opens tomorrow night and runs every night at 8pm (except Mondays and Thursdays) through Saturday, July 21. Congratulations to our friend Lucas Pritchard who is playing the role of young Prince Edward in the tower. (Yes, he dies. But such is Shakespeare.) Performances of this production are weather-dependent: If it looks as if it might rain, please call 585-234-7840 for rain-out information and updates.
Plan ahead for Saturday, July 21:
8) Have you been looking for a way to introduce your child to classical music in a completely painless way? I think this is brilliant: The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra will be presenting a showing of Pirates of the Caribbean with the RPO (PG-13) on the big screen in Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre. Watch The Curse of the Black Pearl while the RPO plays the music right in front of you! I have spoken to some of the musicians, and they're pretty psyched about this concert. It's a great (and painless!) introduction to the orchestra for young Captain Jack Sparrow fans, and a fun introduction to the timeless movie for orchestra fans! What's more, they're having a giveaway of a family four-pack of tickets! Everyone who enters but doesn't win will receive a secret code to purchase tickets at a significant discount.
Are you wondering whether Pirates of the Caribbean is appropriate for your child? It is PG-13, after all. Well, this week, KOA reader Julie Quinn introduced me to a web service called Common Sense Media, which has reviews of all kinds of media to help you evaluate their appropriateness for your kids. Here is the link to info about Pirates of the Caribbean, and what parents, kids, and the experts have to say.
Special discount for KOA readers at Step by Step Pediatric Therapy:
9) Step by Step Pediatric Therapy Center announces special summer developmental programs for kids:
Camp Step by Step: 5 Days to Play, Have Fun and Get STRONG! Camps provide a week of intensive physical therapy fun 9am-11am weekdays to help learn or relearn motor skills.
Summer of Services: Enroll your child in (8) 30-minute sessions of individualized physical, occupational, speech, or feeding therapy during the summer months.
Step by Step Baby: Parent-child classes great for first time parents! Topics include optimal positioning, infant massage, choosing developmentally appropriate baby gear and toys, development of feeding skills, and promoting motor development through play and sensory experiences.
For more information, please visit their website at www.sbstherapycenter.com or call them at 585-427-7610. Let them know you read KOA and receive $5 off any registration!
10) Are you serving as the coordinator of "Camp Mom" this summer? We have a handy guide for you: It's their vacation, and you're the tour guide: How to run Camp Mom And Camp Mom organizers make ample use of our Everything That's Free button, which is linked from every page on KidsOutAndAbout. There are currently 435 upcoming events on the calendar that are utterly, totally, FREE.
11) On the other hand, if you love a good traditional summer camp, there is still time to sign your child up for many area summer camps! Check out our big summer camp calendar here! It's listed WEEK-BY-WEEK so you can plan your summer accordingly!
This brings me to...
11) We have several giveaways live on our giveaway page
- A week of summer camp with Rich the Magic Man
- A week of summer camp at RAPA
- Overnight summer camp with the Amadeus Chorale
- Tickets to Pirates of the Caribbean with the RPO
- Free passes for you and 9 of your friends to skate at Horizon Fun FX (EVERYONE wins this one!)
- A 2-hour private maze experience at Long Acre Farms for you and 25 guests later in the summer
- Family pack of tickets to Ganondagan's 21st Annual Native American Dance & Music Festival
- Free entry to the 5K or Kids Scavenger Hunt at Stokoe Farms on September 22.
12) Congratulations to Carol, who won the tickets to Genesee Country Village's Independence Day Celebration, to Vicky, who won the week of camp for at Genesee Country Village, to Patti, who won the week of camp at Hochstein School of Music & Dance, and to Madison, who won the week of camp at The Fashion Class. Are you the next winner?
13) This year, Seabreeze is #7 on our Top 20 list. KidsOutAndAbout has an exclusive Seabreeze coupon for you to use! You can either print out the coupon and use it at the gate to get either $2 or $3 off admission, or use a special promo code when you purchase your tickets online! Click here for the Seabreeze coupon!
14) If your business would like to offer a giveaway, email me the details and, if it's appropriate, we'll get it on the page right away. And of course, click here to get to our main giveaway page to get details on how to enter these drawings! That page had almost 30,000 views in the past year, so it's a great way to be visible to our community.
15) I typically announce the giveaways on our Facebook page as soon as they're posted, so I encourage you to check there regularly. 88% of our readers use Facebook...are you one of them? Please do "Like" us by clicking the Like button here.
16) What can you do for ABSOLUTELY NO COST?There are currently 439 FREE upcoming events on our calendar. Who wins when organizations around here offer things to do for free? We ALL do!
Oh, and speaking of free, click here to print out a coupon to use to SKATE FREE at Horizon Fun FX on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays in July, starting today.
WHAT'S GOING ON THIS WEEKEND?
17) The Bravo Family, the Wall Family, the Woods Family, the Smart Family, and the Walker Family are our fictional families that take their kids to activities based on their particular interests. Here is what they are up to this weekend:
The Walker family focuses on health and physical fitness. Here are their plans this weekend.
Friday: Free Summer Bowling for kids at AMF Lanes.
Saturday: Free skating at Horizon Fun FX with coupon
Sunday: Raspberry Celebration at Brown's Berry Patch
The Bravo Family loves the arts.
Friday: Honeoye Falls Community Concert & Movie in the Park: Puss in Boots
Saturday: Brockport BBQ & Music Fest in Northampton Park
Sunday: Free Shakespeare at the Highland Bowl: Richard III
This is the Woods Family. They love nature and the great outdoors.
Friday: Tales and Tails Story Time at Wickham Farms. Don't forget to print your ice cream coupon!
Saturday: Letchworth Luau at Letchworth State Park
Sunday: RPO at Center Stage in Center Park, Fairport
The Smart family focuses on educational and cultural activities. They also shop smart!
Friday: Animal Tales Drop-In Story Time at Lollypop Farm
Saturday: Literature Live at the National Museum of Play: Brother Bear
Sunday: Corn Hill Arts Festival
The Wall Family prefers indoor activities. Here is their weekend itinerary:
Friday: Say No to Drugs, Say Yes to Bowling: Kids bowl a game free at Bowl-A-Roll (even shoes are free, no rental required)
Saturday: Luvaboos 4th Birthday Celebration - free - live music, giveaways, and more!
Sunday: Build with KEVA Planks at the Rochester Museum & Science Center
18) Want to see what is happening day by day in the greater Rochester area? There are LOTS MORE ACTIVITIES than just what are listed for our families. Here are some links to make it easy.
Have a terrific weekend!
Favorite Kid-Friendly Museum: National Museum of Play at the Strong
Favorite Nature Center: Mendon Ponds Park / Wild Wings
Favorite Children's Theater: TYKEs Theatre
Favorite Indoor Recreation Center: Kango Play Center
Favorite Farm (agri-entertainment): Lollypop Farm
Favorite Amusement Park: Seabreeze
Favorite Professional Sports Team: Rochester Red Wings