The Harley School
We're a community and together, we've been igniting children's curiosity for nearly 100 years:
* Demand for our program is strong: Consistent enrollment of 500 students in Nursery to Grade 12. * 7:1 Student to teacher ratio; We know our students as individuals.
* Students come from more than 30 school districts and 5 counties. Busing is available.
* 24% ethnic diversity in our student body.
* 11 faculty members hold PhDs; 4 hold JDs. * Happy people: Our devoted faculty have an average tenure of 17 years.
* Happy kids: Faculty-student advisory program guides students through academic and social development.
* Rigorous academics in a safe, supportive community built on respectful relationships.
* Average SAT score is 1850.
* 100% of graduates go on to college.
* 36% of students receive financial aid. More than $2 million in financial aid awarded annually.
* Unique courses and clubs include local and international hospice volunteering, glass making, microfarm organic gardening, gamelan, fencing, boat building, history and politics of food, robotics.
* Class trips to Cape Cod, NYC, Boston, Washington DC, Albany, the Shaw Festival, local museums, parks, and more. * Commitment to community service and student-led initiatives built a Habitat for Humanity House. Our students also give their time to local food cupboards, retirement homes, and other organizations. *Good food that's good for you: Healthy lunch program earned a NYS Best Practices Award--much of our food is either grown in our own organic garden or sourced from local farms.
* University partnerships with The Golisano Institute for Sustainability at RIT and UR Warner School of Education give students resources--labs, research, and more.
* Campus includes state-of-the-art facilities, 27,000 sq ft Academic Center, Center for the Visual Arts, and the region's only Glass Studio in an educational facility.
* We love the outdoors: Older students go on Outdoor Education camping trips in the finger Lakes and students of all ages explore the campus creek and outdoors for science experiments.
* Sports? Oh yeah, we've won 50 Section V championships!
* 17 Advanced Placement courses offered annually.
* World language instruction begins in Nursery.
* Environmental stewardship and sustainable living principles are part of everyday—Harley Organic Garden (HOG)/Microfarm, composting, energy audit and new energy technologies.
Expanding our buildings with responsibility: "Green" locker renovation used recycled materials and low-VOC, recent upgrade to energy systems saves money and efficiency.
* Preparing to break ground for a LEED-certified, off the energy grid Middle School Science Laboratory and project space--just wait until you see what your child can learn!